Sunday, January 27, 2019

Icy Run

"You know it's only 4 degrees out right? And that's not taking into account windchill."

This is from my husband still lying in the warm cozy bed as I struggle to shove myself into fleece running tights. 

"You don't have to come" I tell him. Yes it is a bit crazy. So are the multiple layers, foot warmers, hand warmers, flashlight and water bottle (which will probably freeze before I can drink half of it) that make me feel pretty bulky and awkward when running.  But I'm getting out there and getting my miles in and I hope to get Steve running with me again.

In the dark parking lot the Running Lab spring training group gather.  Many comments of "this is crazy"  "We're all nuts" can be heard in the dark as we try to figure out who is who and find our pace groups.  Funny we all look pretty similar when we bundle up!  I am proud to be a part of this dedicated group of crazies who came out in the cold to run anyway.

Those who know of my struggles with Raynaud's know that I have an especially hard time in the cold.  Breathing is more difficult and muscles don't want to work no matter how you force them when your capillaries are in spasm from cold. In hindsight I probably should have worn a wind breaking layer on my legs. The fleece tights weren't warm enough in -4 temps. My legs quickly went numb and I felt like I was trying to run with bags of ice strapped to them. I was grateful for Steve's presence and his willingness to keep to my slow pace. I focused on my steps ahead of me and trying to ignore my protesting legs.

I distracted myself with thoughts of blood restricted strength training, which I had been researching earlier this week. After all, if my capillaries are in spasm and my muscles are numb from cold I'm probably experiencing my own blood restricted training. Which will make me stronger faster right? I just need to push through and make my legs move when they are pretty sure they don't want to.

The seeping dawn light was a beautiful sight through the trees. I love this time of the morning when everything is still and the sky is slowly brightening. It always makes me feel hopeful and alive. It's a new day and who knows what adventures and joys there will be today.



I recently started using a new alarm clock app that has birdsong for the alarm and about halfway through the run I started hearing my alarm go off and couldn't get to my phone. Then was puzzled when the birdsong continued. That is until I saw the birds flying from tree to tree and realized it really was the birds waking up to greet the new day!  

One of the strange and beautiful side effects of running in the cold is the frosting of your moist hot breath on your face, clothes, and eyelashes. Everything gets covered in these beautiful frost crystals.  I am a bit jealous of the guys with their frosty beards. It's fun to see everyone's frosty photos  post run.
That's an impressive ice cycle on my eyelash!

I am grateful for my husband joining me in the run, and committing to train for his first half marathon in 2 years. I am grateful for friends old and new stumbling about in the cold and the dark and encouraging each other in the day's miles. I am grateful for blue skies and beautiful sunrises full of birdsong.

Life is good my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment