Sunday, February 4, 2018

Lessons on The Trail

I missed running yesterday due to visiting and games with the family.  We did have a very cold and icy hike out to the lake with our new nephew puppy Elwood.  Who is quite adorable with the usual amount of troublesome that puppies can be.

You can't see the snow starting to fall in this shot, but it was snowing all afternoon and through the night bringing a fresh layer of 4 - 6 inches of powder to the trails.  Big thanks to my husband and sister Jen for shoveling the driveway so I could get out to PJ Hoffmaster for a run.  Also Huge thanks to sister Brenda for the toe warmers, without which I could not have run in the cold deep snow.

In an attempt to keep my phone battery from dying in the cold, I shoved my phone down my tights hoping it would stay warm next to my skin.  As I ran it gradually worked it's way down my thigh and settled near my calf.  I figured as long as it didn't fall out of my pants I was OK.   

The snow was deep and cold and beautiful.  All of the trees had a thick coating of snow on the branches and the whole woods was untouched and glowing white.  It is challenging running through the untouched snow, but so exciting being the first one on the trail.  I did have to backtrack a few times as it was not always easy to see where the trail is under that thick blanket.  There was a point when I doubled back and I tried the same trail a second time. I came to what looked like a bridge on it's side, then realized they were stairs, and was happy for a sign I was on the right path.  

When I finally made it to the lake I tried to take my phone out and discovered I couldn't pull it out of the bottom of my pant leg.  I had to pull my pants down to retrieve my phone and was happy there was no one else on the trail with me. Sadly I only got one shot before my battery died.
You can just barely see the lake through the trees.  Heading back it was a little easier to just follow my own footprints and I could pick up pace a bit.  I reached a trail crossing and spotted a second set of footprints headed down another trail leading away from the lake, oh crap!  I am so relieved whoever it was ran away from the lake instead of taking the lake path...I could have been caught with my pants down.  Steve says that would have been "em-Bare-assing"!  No kidding!

It was somewhat tempting to tack on the last 2 mile to make the training 6 miles, but I remembered a friend's advice on taking into account effort, this 4 miles took about the time that 6ish would take me. I was definitely feeling it was enough by the time I reached the car, and needed to sit and recover for a bit before driving home.

Lessons from the trail:
1. Pack extra foot warmers...have back ups in the car, purse, gym bag and suitcase.
2. You are never as alone or isolated as you think you are, always consider someone might be watching.
3. Keep in mind the amount of effort for colder conditions and running through deep snow.  Don't push it!  4 miles can feel like 6 or 8 in the right conditions.

Happy Trails my friends, stay safe and warm out there!




No comments:

Post a Comment