Friday, December 22, 2017

Greeting the Dawn

I happen to have today off and was excited at the thought of a run to greet the sun after Solstice (The longest night of the year.)
My daydreams of running through the dark and into the blazing glory of a sunrise were not to be.  the freezing rain held off but the gloomy overcast morning was more of a gradually seeping in of the light.
It was still a lovely time spent outside and enjoying the sound of my feet hitting the ground, my breath in my ears, and the birds waking up to the new morning.  I had new to me shoes to try out and the intermittent snow/slush and ice at the side of the Lakeland Trail was a good spot to try them.  Surprisingly even with 2 layers of socks the Solomon trail shoes fit fine, no pinching or rubbing of toes and the impressive lugs worked well on everything but ice. 
I came across this cute tree someone had decorated and decided it was a good turn around point.
It was not the blazing glory from my Solstice run 2 years ago...
But I am reminded of a snippet from a song from Sondheim's Into the Woods ..
"Oh if life were made of moments
Even now and then a bad one--
But if life were made of moments,
Then you'd never know you had one"

Merry Solstice my friends! 


No comments:

Post a Comment