Saturday, April 8, 2017

20 Miles with some off the beaten path

"...I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

The Road Not Taken
-Robert Frost

Today was Leslie and I's  last 20 mile run before the big race in 3 weeks.  Steve and Erinn  came along to join in and encourage the adventure.  We have gotten to know the Potowatami trail pretty well over the last  few months and perhaps it was time to shake things up a bit.  So when Steve said he had an idea of a different route that would add 2 miles to the Poto's 18 to give us the required 20 we were up for it.  When looking at the trail sign and seeing the area he was going to use was off the map with no marked trails (Here be dragons!), I wasn't particularly worried, after all I was with two very experienced trail runners one of whom knew the area pretty well.

The day dawned bright and beautiful, everything the last 20 mile run was not.  it was a great day to goof around, enjoy nature and explore.  I did take a dive in my first 2 miles landing smack on my stomach and knocking the wind out of me. luckily no more damage than a few scrapes and bruises and a good reminder to pick up my feet!  



  I spotted the first flowers of spring!  Cute little purple things that reminded me of violets. Erinn says they are Forest Anemones whatever their name it was nice to see flowers again.




The "off the beaten path" Steve led us to turned out to be a Boy Scout trail, with a Big yellow sign saying No Trespassing BSA property. Steve said "just ignore the sign" My reply "Sign? what sign? I'm looking at the trail to keep from falling again."  We came to a fork in the path with one path leading up an enormous hill.  Erinn made a comment that sounded like she thought it would be a good training hill.  I thought so as well and said "With a hill like that don't you guys want to see what's at the top?" and with a whoop started up a hill that reminded me of climbing the Saugatuck dunes.
The pictures don't quite do the steepness justice, however Erinn was still smiling when she reached the top so it wasn't that bad of a climb.  We had found one of the boyscout cabins with some picnic tables in the sun, perfect for resting at and some outhouses that where somewhat needed by that point. It was ironic that one of the tables had "Training" painted on it.
 
Continuing on our path it eventually petered out and dumped us into the middle of the Boy Scout camp.  Eventually we found the road which led to a Scout owned trail that Steve knew connected with the Waterloo/ Poto trail.  The scout trail was pretty fun and great training for warrior dash as we jumped up onto, over and under fallen trees.  



After several of these obstacles Steve commented that this route was a bit more bushwhacking than he anticipated, and
we became very grateful for groups like the IMBA Trail Crew  who work to keep the paths clear for the rest of us adventuring out in the woods.





I enjoyed the rolling green of the Waterloo trail for the short time we were on it. (Does anyone else notice that distances seem shorter when you have new trail to explore?)  Sadly it did not add the extra miles Steve was hoping for and I did a 1 mile out and back at the end to reach my total 20 miles for the day.  Still I think it was a fun detour, definitely worth more exploring.
Today was a much easier run than the last 20 miles, maybe due to weather, or goofing off with friends in the woods, or the new shoes that kept my feet from hurting as much.  Whatever the reasons it was a fabulous day in the woods and I am just grateful to have the time to enjoy it.   
Thanks to Steve our navigator, the "dude" who shows the way.  Thanks to Erin for your feisty wit and encouraging me to keep up my pace, even after 15 miles.  Most of all thanks to Leslie who's tenacity and spirit brought us together to conquer the trail.
Happy Trails my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment