Sunday, February 26, 2017

Sounds of Nature

Another 10 miles in the books and I'm feelin' fine!  Today's run was brought to you by the sounds of nature.
It started chill and crisp with feet crunching on the snow and frozen mud. We were feeling a little stiff from yesterday's long run and it was Leslie's first back to back longer run day so we agreed a slow roll was in order with taking the hills at an easy pace. I'm not sure how we missed that left turn at Albuquerque (Sign Post 5), we realized we were not where we thought when we passed the stone fireplace which should not have been on our route.

 Shortly after there was a loud hooting call followed by an answering call of a pair of owls.  We did not catch sight of them but they were very noisy in the quiet of the early morning.  Deciding on an out and back instead of the loop we had planned, we were startled (I jumped and nearly tripped) by a loud honk of swans overhead as we reached sign post 11.  The birds and critters were starting to greet the day and there was gradually more and more bird song.  Shortly after a lovely stream we scared a deer and it took off back into the woods.
It was such a nice run, my legs were feeling good after 8 miles, and I thought if I put 2 more in that would give me a marathon distance for the weekend.  So I did it and I am feeling great after 26 miles in 2 days woot!  Thanks to all the wonderful friends who joined me over the weekend and shared in the the journey.

Into the woods I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment