Monday, July 25, 2016

PLRA Letterboxing hike



The day started sad and gloomy with the weather matching my mood and thoughts for the morning.  The Letterbox I was looking for was not on an easy path with both physical and directional challenges.  More than once I had to double back quite a ways to see where I had gone astray.  I took my time and enjoyed the distraction of the challenge, and the quiet of  the woods.  I even took the time to sit in meditation in a piney glade for a spell.  It was exciting to finally find the letter boxes, both beautiful carves and well worth the effort. (Thanks Fritz!) Rather than retrace my steps I decided to continue on the horse path and then turned onto the bike path to make my way back to the trail head.  I thought I was done discovering things along the trail.  But I found this cute, little, lonely mushroom standing straight and tall like he's guarding the path.

   
I also found a small multitool that must have fallen off someone's bike. Then I came to an overlook on the bike path, (scene above) the sun had come out and a capricious blue dragonfly was zipping about too fast for me to photograph.  On the last mile back I thought about all my turn arounds and extra hills and miles added to my journey;  The wolf's song from Into The Woods was playing through my head...
"...Just so little girl, many paths, so many worth exploring.  Just one would be so boring, and just look what you're ignoring..." 

Lesson's on the trail:
1.Stay patient with yourself, it's OK to make mistakes and have to go back a few or even a mile of steps to find where you need to go.  It's all just part of the journey.
2. Take bug spray...no REALLY double check the car and maybe pack 2 cans in case one rolls under the seat.
3. Even when you have reached the goal, keep your eyes open for other new discoveries.  Some of the best discoveries are not sought after, they are simple pleasures and surprises.


No comments:

Post a Comment