Friday, May 20, 2016

I am not on the run today.  I decided to try letterboxing with Nylah at the Huron Meadows Metropark.  For those unfamiliar with letter boxing it's sort of like a treasure hunt where you find "Letterboxes" containing a rubber stamp and a log book.  You carry your own stamp and ink and log your stamp in the book to prove you found it. Learn more at this link:  http://www.atlasquest.com/
I have not done letter boxing since Leanna was in girl scouts and her troupe went out a few times.  It was a bit topsy-turvy trying to get supplies, and get myself and Nylah out there. But once I finally started it was a lovely day on the trail.  It was fun and exciting discovering the clues ( no spoilers) and thinking "oh yah, this is the right place." It made me look at a trail I have been on many times in a very different way, I was looking closely at the shapes of the trees and rocks to see if they could possibly match the clues.  After the adventure Nylah and I spent time down by the river bank and enjoyed a snack and watching the birds, snakes (who knew Nylah could jump that high?) and a turtle who were also enjoying the sunny day.
Lessons learned:

1. Double and triple check that you packed a print out of the clues. You really don't want to have to go back home for them.

2. Invest in a stamp pad, the ink will work better than markers in the hot sun.

3. Bring a small towel to dry off the letter boxes, I'm sure it would work better than my pants cuffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment